Friday 7 March 2014

In which Someday arrives.

    









 ell, I'm in the wee town, and several things are happening. The amount of brown cardboard in our house is slowly diminishing. I'm within striking distance of being able to walk across the music room without looking like a tap dancer in an earthquake. (One more box, and I'll be able to see floor! Measurable areas of floor!)

     I've made contact with a local brass quintet, and I sat in (listening) on one of their rehearsals last night. I've had a long look at the second trumpet music, to see if I would be any use to them when they need a sub. The verdict is: maybe. Someday. Just not soon. So I'm setting my second priority: play the heck out of the cornet, six or seven days a week, and try to get to where it's some musical use. I start every day with the "Have You Ever Actually Played This Thing?" Session. (Mostly flow exercises, including Cichowicz.)



     After a bit of a rest, I have "Okay, Arguably You've Played This Before, But Why Bother To Try Again?" Session. (Mostly Long Tones and Michael Irons Lip Slurs.)  In later sessions, I have a run at the Clarke Technical Studies, and any repertoire that recommends itself.
 
     "But," you cry, "why only the second priority? Surely, the chances of making a fool or yourself on cornet would make that the first only thought on your mind?" And that brings me to the Fairly Bad News.

     In rapid succession, I've received two pieces of medical news that are not entirely unexpected, but were almost entirely bad: 1) I meet the clinical standards for obesity, which is bad, but not exactly a surprise, and 2) I meet the clinical definition of diabetic which is very bad, and something of a surprise. I always knew that I was too heavy, and I knew that it could cause complications, someday. Well, someday arrived on the 12th of February.

Now, being a linear, reductionist kind of thinker, I assumed that there was something to be done, and I went looking for it. I found two things: First, this diet, outlined in the Guardian. Yes, it's extreme, but I've seen what type II diabetes does if not handled, and it's even more extreme. (Reminds me of the guy that said, "I don't really care about climate change. It's just that climate change is in the process of destroying everything that I do care about." But I digress.) The second was this study by people at UCalgary and UOttawa. It seems to show that working out six days a week was better than working out three days a week. This is the beginning of a plan....

I've joined a gym here in the wee town, and the routine here is: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, I'm lifting weights. My shoulders are still a mess, which restricts what I can do, but the leg press and the cable row are still my friends. (The leg extension machine is still my friend, I think.) Overall, I'm nicely into the "Training seriously, walking kind of funny" mode which I knew and loved many years ago. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, I'm exploring the aerobic machines. The working goal is to do 1000 calories in a workout, which is roughly equivalent, at my size, to walking or running a 10K. So far, I'm up to 400 calories, but progress continues. (This will also help with my VO2 max. When I tested it, the machine just said, "Ashes to ashes....")

Then there's the diet. Oh yes, the diet... Basically, carbohydrates are a thing of the past. My new favourites vary from spinach omelettes, (Eggs with spinach in it) to Eggs Florentine (Spinach with eggs in it). This may stir some memories for some readers. I also get into almonds, but not as much as I'd like. What I don't get is bread. Cake. Cookies. Could someone wander past Wendy's, and see if they still do baked potatoes? (I'd just like to know.) There have been moments when I've started to hallucinate about toasted Wonderbread.... but I digress. The essential rule is, if I'm not kind of hungry at any moment, I'm doing something wrong. Most of the time, I seem to be vaguely on target.

Now, because too much of a good thing tends to be my standard procedure, I'm adding a couple more elements: I've acquired the parts for an adjustable kettlebell. That will give me something to do in the evenings, to fight the urge to go back to the gym. The wee town is rated as very walkable (by someone who measures distances and sidewalks, and not hills,) so I intend to walk around the wee town, whenever the weather gets warm enough to make the polar bears and wolves safely lethargic. Which I'm about to do.

3 comments:

  1. This is most entirely interesting. I second the sentiments about the spinach... and am happy to report that hereabouts -- courtesy of Real Canadian Wholesale Club, an avatar of Loblaw's -- spinach can be purchased at 1 kg for 5.99. I can get through a kilo a week, either as salad or as 'cooked' -- and the spinach frittata is a major breakfast item hereabouts. Jalapenos help. They can be frozen, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you WILL need rubber gloves. The seeds are just about deadly hot. Do not rub your face in the process of cutting up jalapenos. But -- with gloves on -- I cut off the stem end, split the pepper lengthways, ream out the seeds and the pithy bits, and then just huck them into a ziploc and into the freezer, no blanching or anything. when I want some, I take out one or two pieces and chop them up still frozen and add to whatever I'm cooking. (Rinse hands before blowing nose, rubbing eyes, etc!)

    ReplyDelete