Thursday 20 March 2014

Because it's all about accountability. (Until it's all about something else.)

his is the first post in a new category, which will be of interest only to people in a similar medical situation, but it does put my efforts on an undeniable public platform.  I'm hoping that this will make it harder to blow off workouts.

     Today was aerobics day. Started on the treadmill for 20 minutes. (The club will not allow you to do more that 20 minutes at a time on the machines. Faut pas chercher à comprendre.) 

     Then, on to the elliptical for 20 minutes, which was exhausting and painful. I haven't figured out how to slow down on one of those things.  On the treadmill I was doing around 500 calories per hour, which is plenty right now; on the elliptical, the least I could do was over 600. Next time I'm on those machines, I'll have to investigate further.

     Back on the treadmill for another 20. This put me up to about 475 calories burned. Over to the bike! 75 calories worth on the bike.

     The original plan (and I insist on calling it that) was to do another 20 minutes on the treadmill, but I was already up to 550, which is a modern era record, so I bagged it at that point and staggered home for a bowl of lettuce.

     Next week I'll be over 600 calories in a workout, which will put me back to where I was three years ago, although it will be taking me about 50% longer. (Who was the pitcher who said, "I throw as hard as I did 20 years ago. It just takes the ball longer to get there?")

     Tomorrow I wrap up the first cycle of German (sic) Volume Training and bid farewell to the leg press for a while. The new workout will be built around deadlifts and pulls, with some pressing and squat variations. The aerobic workouts will continue to be built around tedium and exhaustion.


     One question, if anybody knows: How many calories does it take to wish they would stop running the same vershlugginer hockey highlights for hours on end, and put the curling on? Because I did a lot of reps on that.

    

3 comments:

  1. I have this terrific old-coot and old-cootess deal at the downtown "Y" here -- with a membership in the Old Coots' Association (which I have), I can use everything Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30, for $25 a month (checked off my bank account). There is a walking track (with a running lane), any number of pedally things to sit on and hurt yourself, and the most beautiful pools you could wish (also very comfortable locker rooms, showers etc). As soon as my chest clears, I'll be back at it...it's especially tasty in that I can come and go on the bus on my Old Coots' bus pass ($125 a year)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they have a sauna, that may even help the chest...

      Delete
  2. no sauna but an immensely hot and turbulent Jacuzzi!

    ReplyDelete