Thursday 24 July 2014

In which is furlongs and more acronyms than reasonable.

unning in the Wee Town is interesting. The best training I ever did, I did in Southern Ontario, where there were at least the remnants of a rural grid of roads. Knowing how far I ran was relatively easy, with a ruler and a map. And here... not so easy.

The local roads are laid out in a sort of mangled radial pattern, following the lines of less resistance, wherever they may lead. In Toronto, runs can be planned by "Go to the next county road and turn right." Here, if you look for a chance to turn right and circle back home, you have to run to the next town first. Towns here are spaced out a great distance. (Parts of the province are rural. Other parts would require major immigration and serious infill development to become rural.) Loop runs around here start at five or six miles. So, to run a known distance, I'm up at the track. The track brings in a whole new method of measurements.


Back in the stone age(i.e. the 1970's), as we slowly discovered the world, some parts of it made more sense than others. One part which made little sense at the time was systems of measurement. The imperial system involves multiples of three, and twelve, and sixteen, which had just been discovered to be Too Complicated. (Seriously, the twelve times table? What kind of twisted genius super-race can multiply by twelve? Have we even discovered the twelve times table, or is that the thing they're working on at the CERN Large Hadron Collider?)

The alternative was the metric system. I'm sorry, the Système International. The SI has no commonly used measure of length between something smaller than the width of your little finger, and something longer than your arm, and is now the world standard. There is an undeniable genius to French political culture.

Of course, as with all declarations of new and perfect systems, subversion started immediately. Running tracks are now 400 meters. This is about seven and a half feet short of a quarter mile, which is not enough make a difference in training, or in any racing that most of us are likely to do. So, even though the local track is in meters, my training approach has not had to change since the 1970s. 

What has changed, drastically and fairly recently, is my ability to run. The last time I did any serious running, I measured my training in miles. That's not going to happen for a while. When I first went up to the track, I could run half a mile before I gassed. Intellectually, I know that's not far. Physically, it feels far. How to measure the distance? 

Meters, and yards are not marked anywhere on the ground. Miles and kilometers are discouraging, when you're running fractions of them. Even a lap is a discouraging distance right now. What's less discouraging is a half lap. Half a lap is within about three feet of... a furlong. 

Oh, the furlong. The perfect measurement. Organic. Sensible. Logical. Based on the well-known distance that an ox team could plow between rests. Standardized at 40 rods, the rod being the standard, normal, sixteen-and-a-half-foot long ox-whacking implement; no home should be without one, otherwise you may find yourself with an ox to whack, and nothing to whack it with, and then where are you? Don't say I didn't warn you.

Furlongs are easy to measure on the track. You run from one football goal line around to the other. They're short enough that I can run multiples of them, but not too many multiples to keep track of.

The current running workout is this: 
 Every week or two, do the Foot Journey of Length (FJ/L). (I can't call it a long run, because I'm still walking most of it.) As part of it, see how far or how long I can run non-stop. This is the Distance of Temporary Significance. (D/TSig.)

Two days a week, divide the D/TSig. in half. Run three of them, with a little rest in between. 
A third day each week, either repeat the above, or divide the D/TSig. in quarters, and run six of them, or, spend a Time of Astonishing Length (T/AL) on the the bike at the gym. The bike is useful, in the event of Unreasonable Soreness of Feet (US/Ft).

The fourth day, do any of the above, or repeat the FJ/L. 

When the D/Sig. gets over a mile, I'll rework the workouts, but for now this workout works.

Last Saturday, I did my Foot Journey of Length (FJ/L). It comes out to about six miles (thank you milermeter.com!) Of this, I could run about three quarters of a mile nonstop. (thank you again, milermeter!) Now, a furlong being half of a quarter mile, and a lap of the track being a quarter mile, I'm running three furlongs, three times. I've done this on Monday and Wednesday, and today I'm off to the bike, because of the previously referenced US/Ft.

More to come soon: The End of Railing, The Building of a Box, and the Visit of the Great Tucker.
  




No comments:

Post a Comment